I promised you, I’d keep it real. This is as real as it gets. Yes, you read the title correctly – I finally finished my Christmas stockings in January. Don’t judge me. You know you have unfinished projects. It’s nice to cross it off the list and I’m only a month late! After pulling out the Christmas stockings this year, I realized not only were my current stockings a reminder of a past relationship, but we were adding another member to our family! I meant to have them done before Christmas, but getting up at 1:45 a.m. to work every morning doesn’t leave me with much energy these days.
First, I had ordered some Aspen tree slices from Etsy.com to make a name sign for Jacob’s room. I expected them to be a lot larger, so when they got here, I realized I wouldn’t be able to use them because they were way too small. Thankfully though, they were perfect for this project so it worked out well!
I was just going to buy my stockings and either have our names monogrammed on them or print out something on my Silhouette machine, but after punching numbers, I didn’t like the cost. After purchasing, monogramming, etc. a person can easily spend $50 a stocking and I wasn’t willing to do that. I knew I wanted a linen stocking and I finally found some inexpensive ones through Overstock.com. At about $9 a piece, they cost me less than $50 for all 5!
First, I lightly sanded the wood slices. Then, I stained them with Minwax Dark Walnut stain. I was going to stain them gray, but didn’t have that color available and wanted to avoid spending more money on the stockings.
After staining the wood slices, I printed letters out on my Silhouette machine and adhered them to the wood. I sealed the letters onto the slices using a couple layers of Mod Podge with a matte finish.
I let them dry overnight and the next day, I drilled a hole in the top of each wood slice. This is where the slice will be hung from the stocking.
You can use whatever you’d like to hang the wood slices with. Ribbon or twine is perfect. I opted for twine since that’s what I had lying around and that was the look I was going for.
I cut my pieces of twine to about 12″ and threaded each piece through the wood slices, tying the other end to the loop in the stocking.
My plan was to add a sprig of holly berries or evergreen to the top of the stocking to add some color.
And that’s all there is to it! Nothing like checking projects off the list, even if they are 11 months early. 😉