- Need money?
- Need to make a full-time or part-time income from home?
- Want to set your own hours?
- Want to have fun while you work?
- Want to be a stay-at-home mom or dad?
I am a certified teacher who grew weary of teaching in the public school system, of spending all my money on my classroom, of unsupportive parents, high expectations, not enough resources, and most importantly, time away from my own family. As a result, I quit teaching and gave up on my idea of making a difference in the lives of other people’s children. I promised myself I would focus on my own children.
That’s when I found VIPKID. Not only does it still give me the opportunity to teach, but:
- I make more teaching through VIPKID than I did teaching in the public school system.
- I can set my own hours.
- Hours are not capped, so income possibilities are almost endless.
- I work before my daughter gets up in the morning and get to stay at home with her during the day.
- The company is cutting edge. They have created a wonderful teacher education system, a supportive community where you can earn points and badges toward prizes, and have many opportunities for advancement.
Some negatives to the job:
- Most hours available to book are very early in the morning and late at night.
- It can take several weeks to build up your schedule, so you must be patient at first.
- Sometimes you have to seek out answers to questions.
- Sometimes you teach children who won’t behave and just aren’t cut out for the online classroom. In fact, here is a student I had recently:
The top camera is supposed to show the student. Where was he? Missing. His mother or grandma was trying to calm him down because he was crying hysterically. We were late to start class because he wouldn’t come to the computer. Once he got there, he refused to participate in the activities until I used one of my puppets to lure him back in.
It doesn’t matter where you are in the world, there are still children who refuse to behave. 🙂 Regardless, most children are eager to do their lesson with you. They LOVE American teachers!
So how do you apply?
The interview is a 3 step process which takes some effort to prepare for. If you have questions about this process, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I’d be happy to offer suggestions and tips for passing the interviews and getting started!