If you’re looking for a no frills, cut-to-the-chase tutorial on how to start a blog, this is for you.
I prefer to be a straight shooter, lets just dive in without all the fluff, shall we?
I woke up one morning and decided I needed to do something meaningful with my life and I just jumped headfirst and blindfolded. I asked myself:
What are you passionate about?
What do people say you’re good at?
What would get you excited to wake up every morning?
What work could you do that doesn’t really feel like work?
Through these questions, I discovered these three things about myself:
- I love stories – This probably stems from growing up with a mom who inhaled and exhaled words – bundling her two wet-headed little girls up on the bed, under the blankets, for goodnight stories. I so appreciate people’s willingness to share what makes them who they are. Stories are meant to be written and read, not stuffed away in a duct taped box.
- I’m passionate about being Creative. It runs through my veins as effortlessly as chewing food and when I have an opportunity to create, I feel like I’m right where I’m meant to be.
- I’ve been told I’m a good writer and I love writing that encourages, inspires, and gets people thinking outside-the-box. Of course, we can all improve, so that’s my goal. But I definitely try to be candid Kelly. Like it or lump it.
What about you? Think about it. Who is (your name here)?
You can’t even begin a blog or a website or a business if you don’t know who you are or what you like or what you’re good at.
Is there someone who is in a place that you would like to be? What is it about what they do that makes you want what they have?
And here’s one really important thing you need to remember before you talk yourself out of following your passion today:
I never like quoting Dr. Seuss because it’s a little cliche, but really…
Today you are you, that’s truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.
You’re unique! Just like everyone else. Therefore, the possibilities for your success truly are endless!
Once you figure out what you’re good at and what you’re passionate about, you have to figure out what they call in the blogging world: your niche.
A niche is like a category. If your goal is to start a blog, you’re going to want to write about something you’re interested in, otherwise, not only are your readers going to be bored, but you’ll probably end up boring yourself.
Some examples of niches include:
- Interior Design
- Web Design
- Saving Money
- Video Gaming
- Career Counseling
- DIY Projects
- Wood Working
- Minimalism (like Tiny House living)
- Beer Brewing
- Life Coaching
- Guitar Playing/Piano Playing
- Christian Devotions
The list can go on and on. There are just so many things to write about, but only YOU know what tickles your tail feather.
So if you’re heading down this blogging/website building road, start here.
It’s kinda a little important to know who the heck you are, right?
And for all you visual learners, here’s a pretty little visual just for the youest of you:
Ready for the next step? Go here to learn how to snatch your blog name before someone else does!